The following is an article that I contributed to in www.Destinyman.com online ezine. The original can be found at: http://www.destinyman.com/article/top-5-networking-tips-2011-09-27
Being at the top in business is not always about what you know, it’s about who you know.
The importance of networking
According to Strategic Business Network, networking is about making a connection between two or more people and building mutually beneficial relationships. Networking is a vital skill to have.
Megan Hudson, owner of MH Consulting, gives us the following advice regarding networking:
1. Look up professional bodies and associations that you or your target market would be interested in, and attend events for these bodies.
2. When attending events, try to find out who will be there so that you can prepare for potential networking.
3. Utilise online social networking sites like LinkedIn, Who’s Who in SA and Plaxo to connect with and to research people you would like to network with so that you are informed and knowledgeable when you get the opportunity to meet them.
4. Always carry your networking tools with you. These include: your business cards, brochures and flyers.
5. Have a name tag made for yourself with your name and your company’s name on it – it makes you more approachable and could open doors for you.